- Identify the critical elements of online course design and development.
- Explain the Quality Matters (QM) process and underlying instructional design principles.
- Describe the eight general QM standards.
- Apply the QM Rubric to the review of online courses.
- Write and provide useful recommendations for online course improvement.
- Receive “Applying the Quality Matters Rubric (APPQMR)” certificate from Quality Matters.
There are three phases of this program:
- Friday, June 19: One-day workshop focusing on introducing and implementing Quality Matters research-based standards and rubric (APPQMR workshop). Twenty faculty will be invited to participate this workshop. A certified QM facilitator, Dorothy Connelly, Associate Professor and Coordinator of Distance Learning at Blue Ridge Community College, will present this face-to-face workshop at VWCC.
- Following the workshop, an Online Academy Cohort will be established. All 20 faculty are invited to participate in the cohort. Regular meeting will be set up every month. A Blackboard organization site will be set up in Blackboard for organizing meeting content and share the dialog about best practice of online learning. The Online Academy Cohort meeting will focus on best practices of online learning and improve student online learning experience at VWCC. Guest speakers or experts in online learning and instructional design will be invited to present at the meeting.
- In Spring 2016, an online course self-evaluation form based on Quality Matters standards and rubric will be developed to prepare faculty in designing and developing high quality online courses.